Setting the Stage
By the end of the Dorian Period (1150-750 B.C.), the method of governing areas had changed from tribal or clan control to more formal governments. Soon, city-states would develop all around Greece.
1. Explanation of Current Event Project
2. First week of Starter Questions
3. Students will examine different terms helping to understand the Greek City-States. We will then
look at the four different government types in ancient Greece: Democracy, Aristocracy,
Oligarchy, and Monarchy)
a. Greek Vocab/Gov't Handout
4. Essential Question: What are some advantages and disadvantages of the city-states?
5. Athens vs. Sparta
a. Compare and Contrast two of Greece's most powerful city-states
b. Information on handout above.
1. Identify the different political systems that developed in the Greek city-States
2. Describe the government of Athens and Sparta